Exust pipes???

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Exust pipes???

Post by Gene-C »

i was looking at the strait throughs in Jc whitney, how fussy are they on the sound, when your trying to get it inspected. i know theirs plenty of Harleys around that you need earplugs for, i was just courious if anyone had a hard time getting their buggy inspected.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

in all honesty it all depends on who you get to inspect your buggy. So if you find a cool guy he'll pas it with out thinking twice. But then on the other hand if you piss off a cop he could give you a ticket for being to loud. I've never had any problems but it's something to think about.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I have a feeling your talking about duals. Again don't buym. There power robbers. you will lose hp with those
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Well...... i have my inspection lic, so that may help, and my father is a police cheif, so that could come in handy too. but here in pa, a police officer cannot arrest you for too loud of an exust unless he has another officer present with him to witness it. they can arrest you, but chances are you would win it in court. I guess all you would have to do is ask the officer what is the maximum decipals allowed, and what exactly did mine exust register. you cannot be convicted from oppinions.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

I agree with Sandtowd. Not to mention that the internal baffles rattle loose after a while, and it sounds like you're about to throw a rocker shaft through the valve cover. The Harley -vs- Buggy exhaust argument never holds water with the Fuzz. Something about a Harley coming that way from the factory (riiiiiiight...)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Harleys are quiet when they come from the factory, they have to meet Government mandated noise and emission laws. They also have stamped in the mufflers that they cannot be removed or altered in any way under penalty of law. :roll: The problem here is that 90% of the bike the local Harley dealer sells, has an aftermarket exhaust installed at the dealer before the buyer takes delivery. If I sound a little bitter about the noise that Harleys make, it's because I had to drive next to a herd of straight piped Harleys for about 25 minutes while driving my Manx back from a local VW show. I'm still having trouble believing anyone can drive anything that loud for any amount of time.
90volts

re

Post by 90volts »

If you look in the inspection regs there is a decibal limit in PA. I went over it with my mechanic and it had to be below the level. dual megaphones did not pass. not even close.