Berrien buggy or air cooled steering support

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
bobmanx

Berrien buggy or air cooled steering support

Post by bobmanx »

Has anyone installed a Berrien/aircooled steering support and what did you think about it. (quality, strength, fit & was it worth the money or just more aftermarket junk)? Did it really help or just add more weight to your Buggy? Thanks, Bob
Jon

Support

Post by Jon »

Bob Sent you a PM
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Thanks Jon, I sent you an answer Fri. eve 6:00 west coast time. Bob
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I dont like PM's perhaps we all would like to know...
shaky

Post by shaky »

are we talking about a steering column support here?
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Scott and all, We were discussing our Manx2's only, differences and similarities. That is all. We were not plotting against you, any others or the MC. The post is about a steering brace made by Berrien, and we tried not to lead it astray. Sorry for your feeling left out. Bob [QUOTE=WuZaBuG]I dont like PM's perhaps we all would like to know...[/QUOTE]
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Shaky, Sorry, yes we are, I've been trying to find out if the Berrien steering support brace is a useable item or if it is a waste of money. Also if the Manx2 had originaly come with a steering column brace or relied on the one piece F/G hood and dash to support the column. I tried to get a Siggy steering brace from MC and they are unobtainable, and there are none laying around with any club members for sale, lend or measurements. So I was wondering if the Berrien was something that was necessary or just more aftermarket wasted metal. Bob [QUOTE=shaky]are we talking about a steering column support here?[/QUOTE]
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Bob, there are several posts about this subject. http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2311&highlight=steering+brace thats one of 4 I found using the search engine. I have a ManxII. The dash is part of the hood ans there is no brace under it.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

here is another one http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2311&highlight=steering+brace I remember a post ( which I cant find) with dimensions and pictures of exactly what you are trying to do. The reason I complained about your PM is most of us are trying to learn EVERYTHING we possibly can about buggies. PM's prevent us (me) from gaining information we might need. No offense intended
shaky

Post by shaky »

The reason that I asked is because I have just bought one from a guy here in the UK. You know what it is like. You order something and when you get it you realise that you could have made it better. Not this time. I might buy another one becauase this bloke won't stay in businees long, if he turns out such quality at such a low price. I'll post a picy soon.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="Bobmanx"]Has anyone installed a Berrien/aircooled steering support and what did you think about it. (quality, strength, fit & was it worth the money or just more aftermarket junk)? Did it really help or just add more weight to your Buggy? Thanks, Bob[/QUOTE] I know I posted an answer to question the other day but can't for the life of me figure out where it was. The Berrien dash support is infact a quality piece, The one thing I have done once it's installed is to weld the slip joint. It doesn't do wonders for the powdercoating but I think it strengthens the support.
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Scott, No offense taken, No problems here. I understand your reasoning as I to am also trying to learn as much as I can about my Manx2. And if you look at the posts that you listed, I was the person that started them or was posting in them trying to get more info and find out what should have been under my Manx2 dash. As they are kit cars, and seeing some of the results of construction techniques, I was trying to determine if the brace was left out of my Manx2, and resolve the issue before it progressed much further. I was also talking to other Manx, Manx2, Siggy's, and other types of F/G Buggies as to what would help increase the strength and limit the steering column/dash/windshield from shaking problems as was posted by Lee Hoffer. (who also answered in the posts that you mentioned). After numerous discussions I felt that adding a Siggy steering/dash brace might be the way to go and tried to purchase one from Manx Central. I was told that they were made from a rare metal, unobtainium, and there were none available, no drawings, no manufacturers, no way, no how, not gonna happen, nice try, cant help, sorry. It was also suggested by Manx Central that I use a piece of water pipe or tubing and mount it to the sides of my Manx2 and run it under the dash and clamp the steering column to that. Sorry, I cant bring myself to mount water pipe under my dash! So began the quest for a real or copied Manx dash/windshield/steering column brace. If I find something that works and isnt made out of plumbing fittings I will advise everyone here, If I can get some one to make a set of drawings/sketches/tracings of a Siggy style brace I will help any and all who might want the info. for their own Buggies. And if I can get that far and make any modifications to mine I will be more than happy to pass the info along, as has been done by all the people that have helped me to get this far on my Manx2. No secrets here, fair enough? I just want my Manx2 done right and safe. And yes a rollcage might be in order next, but $$$$$$$ sometimes limit the Manx2 progress. Bob And Scott if you can find that post that has the dimensions and pics please let me know as I have searched this forum, all sections, the old Manx forums (when they were avail.)and the RBC forums and others. I have yet to find anything that explains in any details, but I keep looking. Or a source to build a solid brace that will work or is modifiable, please let me know. Thanks, Bob [/QUOTE]I remember a post ( which I cant find) with dimensions and pictures of exactly what you are trying to do. The reason I complained about your PM is most of us are trying to learn EVERYTHING we possibly can about buggies. PM's prevent us (me) from gaining information we might need. No offense intended[/QUOTE]
shaky

Post by shaky »

I started a thread about the dashframe and this is what newmanx59 kindly sent to me
Jon

Supports

Post by Jon »

Sorry I'm jumping in late, but just after I sent Bob the dreaded (PM) my computer crashed. (now on my wife's computer). Bob's PM was to ask for an address so I could lend my Manx Steering Brace to make a clone! Plain and simple.
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Shaky, Anyway to get some pics and dollar figures as to what it looks like and possible to have one find its way across the pond to the colonies? lol Thanks, Bob [QUOTE=shaky]The reason that I asked is because I have just bought one from a guy here in the UK. You know what it is like. You order something and when you get it you realise that you could have made it better. Not this time. I might buy another one becauase this bloke won't stay in businees long, if he turns out such quality at such a low price. I'll post a picy soon.[/QUOTE]