Pedals

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
tgodber

Pedals

Post by tgodber »

I have searched but have not found any previous discussion of this. I am in the process of mounting my seats and I actually sat in my buggy. I noticed that the stock pedals are very close together (gas and clutch). My big feet seem to catch on more than one pedal at a time. Is this a common concern or will I just adapt to this after some driving time? Thanks, Tim
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

If you can find one of the older pedal sets that are "forged", NOT stamped, you can heat up (with a rose bud torch) the clutch pedal arm and bend it to the left to avoid the problem you're describing. The last one I saw on Ebay went for about $60 or so (it would be great to find one for $10 or $20).
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I wear size 12 shoes for my wide feet and do not have a problem. This is in sunny California, I don't know what it would be like wearing large boots. You can always bend the clutch pedal over some if you need clearance.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

On my single seater Funco, the previous owner removed the right 'ear' of the clutch pedal, and tacked it on the 'left' side of the pedal. This freed up an inch and a half or so between the clutch and brake. If the throttle/brake clearance is an issue, maybe a roller type pedal can keep those big clod-hoppers from power-braking your buggy?
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

Thanks for the replies. I stayed after work and accomplished a few things tonight on the buggy. It seems that its always two steps forward and one step backwords. Thanks for the info about forged versus stamped pedals. I will probably wait to see how the pedals feel once its mobile. My next step is to tackle the hood repairs.