Introducing the Manx Club "Long-Haul LEAGUE" award

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
PeterGibb

Re: Introducing the Manx Club "Long-Haul LEAGUE" award

Post by PeterGibb »

Thank You,

You all have so many utterly lovely places to travel to and the Manx Club
really is a great family of people.

We are aging reasonably well and hopefully my Manx will carry on getting us there,
wherever that happens to be... :wink:

Regards
Peter
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

OldManx wrote:will the persons involved in the NORRA MEXICAN 1000, be eligible for THIS award ?? :shock:
That question has been covered several times before. And you were the one asking the question before.
Mutterranch

Post by Mutterranch »

Would a person be eligable if the drive was done in a (Gasp) Burro ?
And why would anyone be afraid to travel long distance solo in their buggy? We all do it in our Detroit dinosaurs!
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

mutterranch, the reason some won't drive long distances in their buggys is simple; confidence, and reliability of the buggy. to get real one should go through every inch, part of their buggy inspecting or fixing issues. those issues are; mechanical wear over recommended tolerance. not everyone has the ability or desire to do that. original vw parts can be now over 60 years old.
yes a person can learn how to repair, rebuild VW's if they desire, as much has been written on the subject. but how many buggy owners have you come across that know nothing of their buggy they bought used. they will tell you the seller said he went through it and everything is great: even though it leaves a puddle of oil at every stop. and they are satisfied by that.
I often attend local cruise nights in my small state of Massachusetts and talk with other buggy owners, who tell me how great their buggy is. when I ask to go over to it to see it; they tell me they did not bring it. they took their modern vehicle, saying the 1 hour drive was too far a distance to go in their buggy. many say they don't leave their hometown. I ask why?
I feel the intent of the award was to encourage buggy owners to make their buggy more reliable so it could travel 1000 miles without problems. the intent was not to have someone brake down with their buggy in the attempt. then if more buggys were made reliable; attendance at the Manx event would be higher. of course a badge or award is sometimes an incentive for some people to get their buggy in shape.
for comparison I recently watched the dvd "drivers of the Manx club" from 1998 again. it shows mostly street prepared buggys in off road situations. hilarious! most had a hard time of it. a few failed miserably.
When I got my first buggy in 1989, I was a complete idiot. luckily there was a book for me, I read it. the Manx club did not exist, and nobody cared about dune buggys. I was a good listener, and took valuable advice from people with experience. I befriended an experienced vw aircooled mechanic who repaired my buggy in the earlier days. later he would advise me on tasks of repair I could do on my own. today I do my own repair work. I did it because I wanted to.
today I have a reliable dune buggy, because I wanted one. I built it with brand new parts in year 2000. I have maintained it for 17 years. I have 20,000 miles on it. it is off road prepped, for beach driving, but mostly street driven all over my area.
the award or badge is not an incentive for me to drive 1000 miles. but someday if time and funds allow I will attend an event. lets hope that the award will continue to be incentive for others to repair or build reliable buggys. the more the merrier as they say.