Introducing the Manx Club "Long-Haul LEAGUE" award

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
vincent9993

Re: Introducing the Manx Club "Long-Haul LEAGUE" award

Post by vincent9993 »

Ed-Chenal wrote:I have to ask....why is this highly recommended and what would be the rational for it?

Hi Ed, for us it's the same accomplishment and same recognition, I only listed it because it helps me remember where, who and how the award was earned. There are unique challenges in both, being part of a group gives you the comfort level of having support but raises the concerns of loosing someone or the group getting lost. Doing it solo means you have to be self sufficient and pack all the stuff you're going to need.

Everyone has their opinion on what's harder or easier, for us it all even outs but I have to tell you that the last day of the group runs, when everyone leaves and you're left all alone, it's pretty hard emotionally.

We have a list of additional members that have qualified for this award already and we'll be awarding them at the upcoming events.

Congrats to all that have earned their pin and good luck to those getting ready to hit the road and attempt this challenge. I look forward to hear from all your stories.
Brad

Post by Brad »

vincent9993 wrote:Manx Club Long-Haul LEAGUE award
Award created on October 19th 2013

This award has been created to encourage people to drive their buggies to Manx Club events
Does that mean it needs to be an Official Manx Club Event ? Or do those people who were super cool and did over 1000 miles earlier this year in Baja get a tick in the box ? :clap:

We all know driving on that boring sealed surface is never what Bruce designed the buggy for and is just an easy way out for people to get a badge, heck we did it after doing over 1000 miles offroad just for fun ( and to get home) :lol: :lol:

Just asking tis all :roll:
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Everyone has their opinion on what's harder or easier, for us it all even outs but I have to tell you that the last day of the group runs, when everyone leaves and you're left all alone, it's pretty hard emotionally.
The two worst moments on ECVW '14 for me were driving away and seeing Chris waving to us from his yard, and then watching Paul/Stephanie and Vincent/France turn the corner and head North away from David and I. It was very hard to stop.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Brad wrote:

This award has been created to encourage people to drive their buggies to Manx Club events
Does that mean it needs to be an Official Manx Club Event ? Or do those people who were super cool and did over 1000 miles earlier this year in Baja get a tick in the box ? :clap:

We all know driving on that boring sealed surface is never what Bruce designed the buggy for and is just an easy way out for people to get a badge, heck we did it after doing over 1000 miles offroad just for fun ( and to get home) :lol: :lol:

Hi Brad, I don't think anyone's going to be upset if I include the NORRA race as a Manx Club event. There was an open invitation for members to join the support party and anyone brave enough to enter could have done so... As I said earlier, we will be awarding more pins at upcoming events for recipients of this award...
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

vincent9993 wrote:
Ed-Chenal wrote:I have to ask....why is this highly recommended and what would be the rational for it?

Hi Ed, for us it's the same accomplishment and same recognition, I only listed it because it helps me remember where, who and how the award was earned. There are unique challenges in both, being part of a group gives you the comfort level of having support but raises the concerns of loosing someone or the group getting lost. Doing it solo means you have to be self sufficient and pack all the stuff you're going to need.

We have a list of additional members that have qualified for this award already and we'll be awarding them at the upcoming events.

Congrats to all that have earned their pin and good luck to those getting ready to hit the road and attempt this challenge. I look forward to hear from all your stories.

Vincent, thanks for the response. Perhaps one day there will be an award for those who travel long distances off the pavement as well but I doubt many would recommend traveling off-pavement alone.
Ed
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Vincent - you are currently giving a pin to the drivers and passengers of buggies that drive more that 1000 miles to an event, how about a sticker for the vehicle that did all the "work"? Tom
Brad

Post by Brad »

vincent9993 wrote:
Brad wrote:

Hi Brad, I don't think anyone's going to be upset if I include the NORRA race as a Manx Club event. There was an open invitation for members to join the support party and anyone brave enough to enter could have done so... As I said earlier, we will be awarding more pins at upcoming events for recipients of this award...
Cool I guess that means that Paul and Andrew get a second pin or pin with clasps lol.

Although I think Andrew should get an Iron Butt Award for having done over 1000 miles more than once in a Tow'd :)

Paul's second trip was a lot more comfy in the Baja Edition although I think he did have to adjust the lumbar support a few times heheh
Lee-Hoffer

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Ed-Chenal wrote:Vincent, thanks for the response. Perhaps one day there will be an award for those who travel long distances off the pavement as well but I doubt many would recommend traveling off-pavement alone.
I would! But only if you have the required backcountry experience. On pavement, not having everything you need could be a major inconvenience. Off the pavement, it could mean death. The reward is way worth it, though! I'm not into solo person exploration, though. Experiences are best when shared.

Lee
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Back in 2009, France and I decided to travel across the country to have the opportunity to attend a Manx Club event with our buggy. Our options were limited on having our buggy shipped across the country and we did not have easy access to tow the buggy nor would it have been practical. We set out make a plan to cross the country solo in the footsteps of a few others like Tom and Kathleen Iacoboni. It was a very challenging feet but we were hooked. We continued to use our buggy for long distance travels every year thereafter and visited all 49 continental states. We like to think we contributed to encourage people to drive their buggies long distances. After having seen Scott Drolet lead a large group of buggies from the West Coast to MOTB in 2013, France and I took on the challenge to lead a group to California (ECVW2014) the following year. Since then, many initiatives have been planned and executed by a multitude of members to lead groups to events. The next ones are being led by Joe Wheeler (BTTM) and Mike Dario (WC-NC) to drive to MITM.

When we created the Long-Haul LEAGUE award in 2013, we did not anticipate the popularity of driving long distances and thought that defining the qualifications to people driving to events would be adequate. In reality, when a group of members organize a planned trip, the trip takes the form of an event. We quickly remedied the situation and have been recognizing organized cruises by Manx Club members for Manx Club Members as Manx Club Events.

It was decided that since it was organized by club members and offered to club members, that those events would qualify. We have been recognizing and will continue to recognize organized Manx Club driven initiatives offered to Manx Club members official or not. The purpose of the award is to entice and recognize the accomplishment of Manx Club members taking on the challenge of driving their buggies long distances on organized cruises or driving solo to Manx Club events.

In our view, when Manx Club members participate to an event prepared by fellow Manx Club members (Official or not), it does not diminish in any ways the merit and accomplishments of the members that have already earned their award.

Congratulations to all that have already earned their award and good luck to all those that are planning to attempt the challenge.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

OldManx wrote:SOOO..when questioned we have a "rules" change....every time a couple people travel together it's an "EVENT"...gotcha
Not quite Bill, it's a recognized event when members decide to plan an event, go through the process of organizing the details and open it up to the Manx Club members to join.
Chicago Joe

Post by Chicago Joe »

Bill, You have a PM.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I'm not really sure what the issue is, personally. Anything at all that gets members together to drive their buggies is a great idea. This trip (along with any of them I've ever seen, be it ECVW, the Alaska trip, the Keys trip, the Shuffle off to Buffalo, the NORRA run, etc... were opened up to any and all Manx Club members, were organized by members, and from the pictures I've seen (along with the few hours I got to spend with the Keys group) was a wonderful time of comradery. I feel we should all recognize the ability of anyone to take a 50 year old fiberglass buggy on an adventure of this length. I know I've just been a member for a just a couple of short years, but that's what I thought this club was all about. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pongo

Post by pongo »

PeterGibb

Post by PeterGibb »

Hi

The furthest I have driven in one go in my Manx2 is from Kent (England) to Bundoran (North West Ireland)
600 miles or more, so I spect I dont qualify for any awards.

However, my Manx was built by myself and my son Andrew 16 odd years ago, its been used daily ever since and has just clocked
up 150,000 miles with almost no issues at all 8)

Regards
Peter
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

May I be the 1st to offer a big thumbs up, a heartfelt congratulations for a job/build obviously well done!
Your ability to successfully traverse that many miles over that many years speaks volumes. Not to belittle others but your accomplishment is every bit as worthy as any Long haul or Iron Butt award.
Consider this a congratulatory slap on the back...here's to many more happy miles.
You are a great example of Bruce Meyers "more smile per mile" concept. :clap:
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502