Just Wondering?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Surf58

Just Wondering?

Post by Surf58 »

Now that the Manx Club has an event where they drive on the beach in North Carolina. Would it now be possible for the Manx Club to have an event or day run at Pismo Beach tied in to hopefully a future Buellton gathering. After all in the Manx History section it states
"It was at Pismo Beach, CA that Bruce first became acquainted with the "dune buggy." and it would be so cool to have Bruce back where it all started.

Randy Monroe
 MC#1404  
Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102
ManxManiac

Just Wondering?

Post by ManxManiac »

Very good question Randy! I've been a member of the Manx Club (formerly the Manx Dune Buggy Club) since January 1999 & I've asked this question several times. I was always told that there were several reasons...
(1)liability, (2)getting motorhomes/trailers stuck requiring lots of $$$ to get unstuck & (3)getting sand EVERYWHERE!!! ImageImageImage  You are either a "sand" person or you are not!
There are actually quite a few Manx Club members that frequent the Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes!
I think a "guided" side trip to Pismo Beach during the Buellton Run would be a great idea, even if you just cruise down the beach! Of course, a trip up the "Sand Highway" would be best! For those that have never been on sand, a short quick tutorial could be given! Lots of possibilities! Stay on it, maybe the dream can become a reality!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Surf58

Just Wondering?

Post by Surf58 »

Hey Michael.. it is good to talk to you again. I was thinking like you to keep it safe and simple, it just being a day run from Buellton (it is about a 1 hour drive one way) with a cruise and lunch just on the beach and then get some great photo opportunities with Bruce and all the buggies together. 
Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102
Surf58

Just Wondering?

Post by Surf58 »

Hopefully... if we did go, we would have a beautiful day at Pismo just like we had a few weeks ago.

Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102
vincent9993

Just Wondering?

Post by vincent9993 »

Did you say Pismo beach?!

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
ManxManiac

Just Wondering?

Post by ManxManiac »

Vincent, that SS sure looks awesome sitting there in Pismo!!! Of course you two look great also!!! Sorry we missed you at Big Bear this year, hopefully get to see you on one of your next adventures out here!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
Surf58

Just Wondering?

Post by Surf58 »

I agree with Michael... awesome buggy!! Now if we can just get you back there again someday.Image
Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102
73SpeedBuggy

Just Wondering?

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

One thing to keep in mind, at OBX, we're actually driving on what they call 'the beach road'. It's pretty hard packed for sand, you can't go above a certain speed limit, all the cars are going in the same direction, you're not runnig up on dunes, etc.  Pretty different setup than Pismo (from what I've seen on youtube, I've never been there).
Surf58

Just Wondering?

Post by Surf58 »

It does sound and look from the pictures I have seen... that you have the ideal conditions for driving on the beach out there Adam. Driving on the beach at Pismo is not that hard though. Thousands upon thousands of people cruise the beach here yearly... many of them in regular passenger cars. The beach itself has a posted 15 mph speed limit and at low-tide a wide hard packed surface to drive on. Even at high-tide if you stay close to the darker sand along the waters edge you should have no problems.
 Again this would "just" be a drive along the beach with nothing to do with the dunes themselves.
Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102
ManxManiac

Just Wondering?

Post by ManxManiac »

The Pismo Beach/Oceano "beach highway" is subject to all the rules & regulations of the California Dept of Motor Vehicles for driving on a paved road. All vehicles that travel along the beach must not exceed 15 mph & they must be "street legal". All safety equipment is required. Traffic is going in both directions, north & south.
Once you get up by what is refered to as the "1st knoll" at the edge of the actual dunes, then the speed limit doesn't really exist.
The "Sand Highway" that travels from the beach back thru the dunes & basically parallels the shoreline (but back in the dunes), doesn't have a speed limit either.
Spinning brodies on the beach or any type of exhibition of speed is against the law on the beach too!
Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes is only about 800 or so acres now, but prior to about 1983, there were 20,000+ acres to play in! From the town of Pismo Beach, you could enter the beach just south of the Pismo Pier & travel on the beach about 27 miles south to Devil's Slide which is just north of Vandenburg Air Force Base. From the ocean you could go east all the way over near the refineries! It was awesome! Before they shut it down, on the big holiday weekends, hundreds of thousands of folks would go play & stay there!!! July 4th weekend in 1981 there were a bit over 250,000 people on the beach & in the dunes, for day use & camping!!! Ahh the good ol' days!
I doubt if they'll ever open Pismo up to is previous grandeur, but it sure would be awesome just one more time!
Pismo Beach is where lots of things started or were thought up. It would be fantastic to see Bruce leading a couple hundred buggies down the beach!!
Let's do it!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
M1609C8S22
manx1111pla

Just Wondering?

Post by manx1111pla »

Here are a few pics of Mike and I at Pismo a few years ago. We had a great time right up until i broke my buggy in half Image. We would love to go back and play around again.

around again.Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
Surf58

Just Wondering?

Post by Surf58 »

Very nice buggies and pictures Dale. Maybe in the near future along with anyone who wants too, we can plan a totally 'unofficial'  play day in the Pismo/Oceano Dunes.

Randy
MC#1404
1966 Meyers Manx #102