"Oogah" Horn

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Reverb

"Oogah" Horn

Post by Reverb »

My son heard an "Oogah Horn" on an antique car the other day, and needless to say, he wants one for our buggy. Does anybody know of a good source to buy one of these? I saw a couple on ebay, but prefer not to pay the high priced shipping and handling fee that most sellers charge.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I hate to say it but.....JCwhitnetey has them. I installed one on the front bulkhead of my buggy facing forward. it sounded good...until I drove my buggy in 12" of water. think they were about 25.00
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Thanks, I`ll check on there again. I looked at J.C. Whitney the other day, and all I could find was those annoying programable electronic ones.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Oogah horn JCW Part # WE377204Y Cost $36.99
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

[QUOTE="WuZaBuG"]I hate to say it but.....JCwhitnetey has them. [/QUOTE] What's wrong with JCWhitney?
Gene-C

What's wrong with JCWhitney?

Post by Gene-C »

Your kidding right....
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

73... Incase you weren't kidding, JC whittney is like the Walmart of the automotive industry. For the most part they sell cheap, inexpensive foreign products that dont hold up. When rebuilding any car, you should think quality first then price. I know from experence anything chrome from JCW won't last a month. If you buy named brand products they happen to carry then fine. but as for their basic product line, forget it. MId atlantic Motor Works has better quality products. If you post a thread on this site before you buy, you will probobly get a reply from someone that knows just where to get what you need form the best vendor.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Got a link for Mid Atlantic? I couldn`t find it in a web search.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I got one at pep-boys once. I would go look at the local stores and check them before you order something online. Even if no one has one is stock they could probably order one and then you don't have to pay for shipping.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

Harbor Freight has them on occasion - I saw one in the sale paper and took a look at it when at the store (unsupervised - my wife was next door); it is made in china, but will do the job. Price was either 17.99 or 19.99.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Having grown up only a handful of miles away from J.C. Whitney and knowing several people that work for J.C. Whitney, I can tell you that they buy all the merchandise from the same suppliers that all the big California suppliers buy from. The difference is that Whitney buys large quantitys and the parts are often packaged in generic packaging to save money. As far as poor chrome is concerned, Try buying just about any chrome for a VW that hasn't been flash chromed in China. It is just about impossable to find.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

I have a geniune 6 volt Klaxon Horn from a 1928 Model A Ford. (Sorry about the f word.) When it's on a car I need to run it in series with a 6 volt VW windscreen wiper motor to get it to run slow enough for it to go AAAAAAAHHHHGGGHHHOOOOOGGGAAAAAAA!!!!!. On 12 volts it goes GAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I've had in on every car I've owned since I was 19 and I made sure that it was removed from my buggy when I sold it. It will go onto the SR after registration.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I picked up one of the horns from Harbor freight for about the same price about $40 and then after opening the package two weeks later came across the same thing but instead of red plastic it was chromed plastic. I dont know how long the chome will last but decied to pick that one up also. I got it from California Car Cover. http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1147
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

My kids liked the idea of that horn also so I got one from Harbor Freight as a gift. It sounds ok and it was easy to install.