KickOut #10 Build

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
DIESELDOOG

KickOut #10 Build

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Here is the status on KickOut #10. Very slow progress has been made, due to severe procrastination and lack of ambition at times.

Jayne & I picked up the kit from Bruce & Winnie in March 2010, and then made our way up to Gardnerville, NV to get the Barrett Condor chassis from Bob Kornoff. After a leisurely trip home I let the whole thing cook for a while in the trailer. 2 months later, I pulled the chassis out of the trailer and started the process of inserting 'Tab A' into 'Slot M', and so on.

After a couple of days, this was sitting in the floor of the garage bay. Around August 15, Bob Yahn came in from Mesa, AZ to assist in the building of this buggy.

We had to layoff for several days as a road trip to the Detroit, MI area was in the plan.

2 nights at the Woodward Dream Cruise, the Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and a side trip to visit with a couple of Bob’s friends.

We had to layoff for several days as a road trip to the Detroit, MI area was in the plan.
2 nights at the Woodward Dream Cruise, the Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and a side trip to visit with a couple of Bob’s friends. For those of you that are into cruise nights, the Woodward Dream Cruise is like a cruise night on steroids.

It usually begins in early August and ends on the 4th Sunday in August.

Wall to wall endless line of cars, trucks, cycles, etc. 2 lanes headed NorthWest and 2 lanes headed South East.

The sidewalks and parkway is filled with people watching, cooking, eating, and just hanging out.

If you get a chance to go, Do not hesitate – just go.

I spent several weeks looking at tires, wheels, etc. Ordered out a set of 15” x 4” white spokes for the KickOut.
Mounted up some Mini-Mags for the front and a pair of BFG All Terain TAs on the rear.
Getting close to being able to just push it where we want, instead of lifting the chassis.

We now have a roller!!!!!
Now the fun stuff began.
Wiring.
Lots of colors, all different sizes of wire. I ran a piece of 1” Liquid Tite flexible conduit up the tunnel area, and pulled all of the wiring from the rear of the buggy to the terminations in the front. I should have identified and recorded what wire did what. I guess that is what the multimeter is for.
Lets see was the ignition from the switch brown or purple?
Turns out the Ignition is pink, and the starter relay is purple.
The list goes on and on and on.

Remember the snow that the Midwest got last winter?

Here is the buggy tub being thawed out in the garage, prior to being bolted to the chassis

Additional information will be posted when I have time to write it all down.
Stay tuned!!!!
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KickOut #10 Build

Post by 1856 »

Looks Great Joe ... Thanks for sharing
louisb

KickOut #10 Build

Post by louisb »

Good looking start, keep us updated. That new body sure looks nice.

--louis
Tom-Kathleen

KickOut #10 Build

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Looking good!  I noticed you have the clutch cable clamped together to shorten it.  You should look at this guys stuff http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1101400  Stainless Steel cable, Heim joint and made to length.  Yes, I am using one in my Kick-Out and will probably switch the Manxter over this winter after I determine the cable length with the Mendeola transaxle.  See you guys at OBX!  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
manxdavid

KickOut #10 Build

Post by manxdavid »

I think the clutch cable conduit will need more work to replicate the stock Bug's 'Bowden tube' system if you don't want to end up with terminal clutch judder!!!

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)