Error: NOT an Early Squaretail manx sold in Georgia

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
vwmanx

Error: NOT an Early Squaretail manx sold in Georgia

Post by vwmanx »

Does anyone know who bought the early square tail manx near Atlanta within the last few days>
Yellow body, mid 50s pan

The buggy was in the sellers family for 44 years...
I posted over on FB as well...just hoping it went to someone who will know not to chop it up.
Last edited by vwmanx on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abgiles

Re: Early Squaretail manx sold in Georgia

Post by abgiles »

Chris,
Here are the pictures he had sent to me. I looked for things that had been pointed out to me (tubes, lifting blocks, etc..) and had convinced myself that this was not a real Manx. Please feel free to point out any reason why you may or may not be convinced it is or is not one. If it is, I'm going to be really bummed out, but still want to know (for future potential finds).

Brian

(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

They had tubes from the earliest floorpan Manx, but they didn't start using lifting blocks until after they had tags
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

CairoManx wrote:They had tubes from the earliest floorpan Manx, but they didn't start using lifting blocks until after they had tags
Thanks for that bit of information!

So do you see tubes on this one? I'm not sure if those are them or not on the sides. Mine look different, but it's a later model Manx. Also, the supports under the tail, are those original?
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Brian,
In the one picture it looks like the tube may have been cut out. The rear support flanges are definitely not Meyers...that is not to say they could have been added in (just saying). The same area on mine has curled ever so slightly...and it is VERY flexible due to the thin layup.

There also is no sump bump for the brake line bracket in the spare tire sump. If this is not an early manx, a mold was taken from an early car.

The thing that made me strongly suspect it to be a Manx was the ABS dash and the dash frame and the lack of sump bump.
I had asked him for pictures of the windshield frame but he never responded...

The final verdict on it would be a first hand inspection. These bodies were all hand laid up and most are by most standards extremely thin.

As far as determining whether or not it is an original square tail manx, the details would be:

square tail
standard bump on hood
tubes under fenders (made from vacuum hose)....I noted on the Tejon manx and mine that the hoses have mostly deteriorated but you can feel the ribbing molded inside the tube.
ABS dash
strap windshield windshield frame
no bump in the spare tire sump for the hydraulic brake line bracket
thin lamination...and hand laid up with fiberglass cloth..not fiberglass mat.

I have been wrong before (gasp). I hope that we find who bought it...we can get more information then.

If it turns out to not be an early sq tail, it is identical in almost every detail and would be very difficult to tell without close inspection.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Thanks Chris! Nice to know the detailed information!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I have a square tail clone sitting on my back patio now. It has the exact same gussets under the rear skirt.
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Does it have the abs dash and dash support?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

It has a steel dash support and a fiberglass dash that looks identical the Manx dash.