First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Loretta

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
joescoolcustoms

Re: First Build thread of 2015 and of the new Forum - Lorett

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Here is the video of Brian seeing Loretta for the first time in 5 month's while I was restoring her. I think he may have liked her new look.

RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

I think he likes it, hey Mikey!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I am still in absolute amazement at the result. After reading and re-reading so many of Joe's build threads, I knew she would be amazing, but that still is an understatement. I hope you get to see her soon for yourself. It's the only way you can truly see her sparkle.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

As I know Joe is extremely busy assisting with David's Moss Green Manx II, and getting ready for another cross country epic adventure, I have to say I'm still in amazement at his talent, and how fast he got so much done.

I'm limited in skill and time, as I work during the week, and travel home on weekends. I thought I'd have the wiring complete by now, but alas, nothing is going as planned. I've had quite the time figuring out exactly how things should go, and have spent far more time researching and contemplating than actually wiring.

What took Joe 10 minutes to do (making brackets for hood mounting), took me 2 trips to the hardware store, and another hour of work to make a similar bracket for the wiring harness mounting hinge. Part of it is working in a garage that's not mine, not having the materials handy, and using primitive tools to do a lot of it.

Another issue is the inexperience of having done this before. The light switches I bought are rated for only 10amps, and I need 15 for the headlights. So... on to more research and forum searches for exactly what I want. That kind of thing.

I did get a few things done, and am working each day, even if for just a little bit. sbussard told me to "Do something, no matter how small, every day." That certainly helps keep the motivation. That and seeing various VW's driving around each day in the nice weather.

More to come!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Brian, instead of changing the switch, why not install a relay like;
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES4343/
this offers circuit protection and you can run smaller wire to the switch itself as the switch only carries enough amperage to activate the relay, usually the light gets better voltage to it also.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Mike,
I'm trying to keep it simple as can be, but am seriously considering a relay now. I've just installed the gauges, and since I had to go with the 4 1/2 inch tach and speedo, have very little room in the dash, so the smaller ones I already have are looking better and better.

Brian
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Try and keep a log of diagrams for your fuse block and connections. They come in really handy when there are issues on the road. I keep a small wire bound pocket notebook with my registration and insurance.
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:Try and keep a log of diagrams for your fuse block and connections. They come in really handy when there are issues on the road. I keep a small wire bound pocket notebook with my registration and insurance.
I definitely will. I did purchase the Rebel Kit with mine, and luckily, the wires are labeled every 8 inches or so. I'll make a fuse diagram and have the stuck to the block, and make notes of what was done where. Thanks for the idea Tim!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I was recently called out on my not having updated this thread in over 6 months, so I though it time for that.

It took me much, much longer to get her running and driving than I ever anticipated. There were numerous reasons for that.
1. I tend to research how to do something for 20 times longer than it takes to actually do them.
2. I had an issue with the gauges being too small for the holes in the dash and had to send them back (the old gauges had rubber wrapped around them, and I forgot that when I ordered the new ones from Speedhut and measured the old gauges for reference). Love that Speedhut only charged me the difference between the two sizes to re-do them.
3. I work in a different city than my family lives, so I drive home almost every weekend, and thus that leaves Monday through Thursday (after work) to get anything done.
4. Even though I'm a certified nuclear planner, since I didn't write down the plan for her, I jumped from thing to thing to get it done.
5. I wanted her perfect, and way overthought every detail.
6. The fuel gage vs. sending unit wiring had me stumped due to the misinformation I received from a junior tech at Speedhut. It took me a week to figure out that he absolutely had to be wrong, and another week to wait for the senior tech to come back from vacation to verify what I believed to be accurate. (There is indeed a 5Vdc signal that comes from the gauge to the sending unit).
7. Most importantly, I have had an incredible fear of screwing something up that sometimes paralyzes me to the point of not even trying. I'm well adapted at blowing it off rather than failing. I've been working hard on this, and feel I've come a long ways.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I started writing what I had done once I got home, but realized that I left out an amazing part, and what I feel is significant.

The trip up to pick up Loretta was scheduled for the Carlisle Show weekend, and Chris Lewis rode shotgun. I left Columbia, SC with the X-Body buggy (part of the deal for the work) in tow, and met Chris in Charlotte, NC. We loaded up a couple of Terra Buggy bodies (that part was fun), and headed north!

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

We arrived in WV in the early afternoon, and from the previously posted video, my amazement was more than I can write about. The weather was perfect for the metalflake, and I was so anxious I forgot to put the truck in park before I started to get out. Luckily, Chris stopped me before I actually got out of the truck.

After the initial shock and awe subsided a little (I still am awed each time I look at her), Joe, Chris and I got to work. Transmission and motor went in, rear cage installed back in, license plate bracket and license plate in, dash gauges (when we found the problem) installed and made to look ready to operate, all the switches put in place, windshield wipers installed, windshield support brackets fabricated, painted, and installed, wheels and tires swapped out and adapters installed, and a bunch of other things I'm forgetting about. It wasn't just the three of us either, David Cash joined in after he got off work, and was a great help as well.

Since we weren't doing the wiring, Joe decided to see how many people would see the spark plug wire issues when he put them in wrong (intentionally). I figured it would go all weekend not being caught. Of course, David saw it first thing, and immediately went and put them in correctly.

This is how she looked when we arrived:

Then we got to work:

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

We arrived at Joe's place shortly after 2 in the afternoon, and worked until nearly 2 in the morning, only stopping for a nice dinner with the group and Joe's and David's wives, and to head over to David's for a short bit to look at his Moss Green Manx II that he was working on. Quite a build there!

Putting on the emblems was the final thing done, and the rear was a real pain. I had Joe leave the holes there as reference for me, knowing that I had broken off the mounting stubs when I took it off. I used double sticky tape (the super adhesive type) to put it on. Wanting it stuck firmly without showing through the back, it took me quite a while to cut all the little tiny strips to put on the back of each leg of each letter. Chris and David helped though, while Joe finished up the windshield/dash straps that keep the two anchored.

Finally, it was time for the crowning achievement: Nose badge installation. Only one of the tabs stayed on the hood badge when removed, and we had to do the same. We used several layers of the same tape, and I can rest assured that without a ton of force, this thing will never budge.

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Here she is, ready to show off!

Lastly, tow lights were hooked up, tape was used to keep the slack from rubbing on the body, and we could get some rest.

We agreed that since it was so late (nearing 3 a.m. when we finally said good night), we would sleep in until 7 a.m. and hit the road about 8 a.m. I though this to be a solid plan, but a certain unnamed buggy builder that resides in WV woke us promptly at 5:45 and wanted to be on the road early, and we all eagerly agreed to get to it.

We rolled Loretta out of the most incredible buggy laboratory I've ever been in (In my book, second to only that of Bruce's), and hooked her up.

This following photo is one of my favorite photos of her, and anyone that is on the Manx Club page on Facebook has surely seen it a million times:

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I had a great view on the way to Carlisle, but for some reason, the buggy in front of me seemed to constantly want to turn left. We met up with Steve Flowers about halfway there, and had a caravan as we traveled. Also, I kept getting pelted with sunflower seed shells.

Obviously, when we got this close, I was very anxious. While most people knew we were coming, and some had already theorized that Loretta would make her debut there, not many were privy to this.

I can honestly say, it was a highlight for me to receive the overwhelming enthusiasm that we did get when we arrived. Everyone was amazed at how incredible she had turned out. I believe the biggest compliment that Joe could ever get was when Bruce Meyers himself stated "That can't be one of mine. I never made them that nice." That was one of just a few compliments that I heard Bruce give to Joe over the weekend.

Although she wasn't running and driving, I certainly enjoyed the weekend, and got to show her next to some other incredible buggies!

Tom was even nice enough to let me park her under the cover for the evening, next to his beauty:

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Shortly after getting her home, I started on a few things, but wanted to take her to a local show before removing the windshield and hood to get down to business. I kept the motor in and installed the axles and stuff to make her look like she ran, and towed her to SEVWA's Darlington Showdown. She won Best Exterior (they don't say Paint as to not offend the "Patina" people), and a top 10 finish. I was pretty stoked!

Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436