Mystery of Monocoque PCS 076

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

PCS 076 was a gold metalflake monocoque which made at least two trips down Baja. It was owned by Neal Allen and was one of the two chase vehicles that accompanied Old Red when it set the record in 1967. From a couple other pictures, it also appears to have been in a group of monocoques that ventured down into Baja on a more leisurely trip, possibly with the additional purpose of taking advertising pictures. Based solely on its license number I would think it was actually the third monocoque made, after Old Red-OTV 553, the Hot Rod cover car-OYJ 905, and before Quatro which had a number PII ??? (or maybe PIT ???) and also before Ted Trevor's Pike's Peak Racer-PIW 107 and Perry Margouleff's PLF 852.
However, the mystery I mentioned isn't just where PCS 076 is now, the mystery is why did PCS 076 change from a gold metalflake monocoque into a red first generation floorpan Manx 1? Its possible PCS 076 may have been in an accident and its registration and plates may have been used on the new red Manx 1. Something else I notice that may have been recycled are the knock off nut hub covers which appear to be on a gold metalflake first gen Manx 1 which I suspect is SLW 511. Ironically SLW 511 which was both the Car and Driver and Road Test cover car and was also Bruce's racer in the first Baja 1000, was later cannibalized as the chassis of the first Manx SR.

Then this happened! PCS 076 changed from a gold metalflake monocoque into a red early floorpan (square tail) Manx. The gold metalflake Manx in the picture is Bruce's personal Manx, SLW 511, and its gained a set of knock off nuts like PCS 076 used to have

Last edited by CairoManx on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Interesting sequence of events. I don't know where you get all of these pictures, but they're priceless. I'd also speculate that, while I don't have any direct knowledge of anyone doing so, somebody could be using one title, registration, and plate set on more than one buggy . . . especially in the 60's when DRF registrations were a little more loosey goosey. Two of my buggies have DRF numbers assigned to them as opposed to using the stamped VIN numbers.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Something else I just noticed, monocoque PCS 076 had two different types of skid plate. During the warm weather casual trip it had the multi-tube protection like Scott's Jensen Monocoque. On the cold weather record run it had a conventional steel skidplate and a single tube bumper. I think that indicates the casual trip took place some months at least before the record trip.
CairoManx

Re: Mystery of Monocoque PCS 076

Post by CairoManx »

I think this picture might partially explain what happened to Neal Allen's monocoque PCS 076. With the inaugural Baja 1000 approaching at the end of 1967, its possible that Allen prefered to run the race with a steel chassis Manx vs. his monocoque. He might have cannibalized components off the monocoque to build the #5 race car. Its license at least was used on Neal Allen's and Joe Collins #5 race car entry in the 1967 Baja 1000. The body was one of the 65-66 "square tails" which even sported one of the early non-extruded type windshield frames.

CairoManx

Re: Mystery of Monocoque PCS 076

Post by CairoManx »

Just found this nice pic of Spinters and Old Red