FOUND: Monocoque No. ?

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
jsturtlebuggy

Re: FOUND: Monocoque No. ?

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Meyers Manx sold a opening hood like it at one time.
They did make them or even have a mold for them.
From what I understand Mel (I don't remember is last name at the moment, it may be Baker) has the mold (or one like it) on an island off the coast of European continent (England).
I like my Kick Out with it opening hood (bonnet). It is different then the Mono's that tilts in the front. Safer in some respect as the hood will not fly up if left unlatched. I have no proof that this has ever happen with Mono's hood, but seeing other vehicles where the air has folded back the hood when not latched.
Having an opening hood does make more room for storage and not having to stand on your head to work on the wiring. Having seen 3 of the Mono's in Big Bear they are a work of art. Chris's Mono really stands out as a great restoration and functional buggy. Having been to visit and work with Bruce & Winnie on the Raffle Kick Out SS, I had the time to really look at OLD RED and talk with Bruce about his building of it. With his background of boat building you can see how he used it on building a buggy. The cast aluminum pieces that Bruce design, and had made really caught my eye. My Brother was a molder in the Navy and I saw the work involve from making a pattern to the end of the process. It a lot of work.
I cannot wait until the book that Bruce is writing is publish. His life story has many exciting adventures with buggies being only part of it.
I am sure Scott's Mono will be great when it restoration is finished.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Joseph,
Thanks for the compliment on the old monocoque. I could not agree with you more about opening hoods flipping open but the way that the hood is designed on the monocoques, they stretch a bit as they close and thenpop down into place. If you note on Old Red, the rubber bungees (the rubber hold downs for rear seats on pre 65 beetles) are completely rotted away and hanging. They have been that way since i was "found" in Michigan in 1995. It has made many trips with those broken straps and the hood has not flipped open to date.
Part of the ECVW trip was done with the hood hold downs not in place on my car. I think that the rake of the hood, the fact that it lips over and curls back at the front bottom allow it to stay in place.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

I believe the red Lompoc buggy Joseph is referring to is owned by club member Mike Hammer. He bought it from a guy in Reno a few years back. It's a beautiful buggy. Well made and very clean.
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Scott...yes...he is talking about the two red buggies. Really nicely built cars.
There were only two of them built.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Hmmm. I think I saw a yellow one at Big Bear this year. I'll have to go through my photos. But the gentleman who owned it said the same thing . He thought there were only two of them built. Wonder if his was painted over the original red?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

The other red one, is in the Reno area. Bob Kornoff knows him. I don't remember his name at the moment. I have seen the buggy at a Fibercraft last August.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
parmaynu

Post by parmaynu »

Chris and Scott,

Would either of you mind taking a few measurements for me to help with my replica project?

Thanks, Mathew